1. Items should be designed in relation to the human body and should move with it.
2. A piece must be strong enough that it does not bend or break easily.
3. A piece must not be so heavy that it is clumsy or uncomfortable to wear.
4. Any stones used must be of good quality without defects.
5. Settings must hold stones securely.
6. There must be no sharp edges to catch clothing or skin.
7. Play of light is an important feature; highlights should enhance the design.
8. Hardware must be securely attached and in good working order.
9. Because finish is very important due to the shiny nature of metal, excess solder must be removed, edges must be clean, smooth and ready to wear.